“I value the active voice of God’s Spirit in my everyday life. And I have come to realize the power of the disciplines of simplicity, silence, solitude and surrender to whatever God’s Spirit reveals to me in prayer and meditation.”
~ Dan McGee
In his book Experiencing God’s Presence: A Personal Guide Through Six Spiritual Disciplines Dan McGee explores four of the ancient spiritual disciplines which have been practiced by Christians for two millennia. He adds his own two that he believes are the natural outcome of the original four. He explains the practices and suggests ways to implement them in your everyday life.
Early in his life Dan McGee felt a call to ministry and after college and seminary followed that calling as an ordained Baptist minister. His experiences as a minister led him to his doctoral study of stress and his vocation as a researcher and clinician.
In this noisy and complex world we need the ability to step out of the chaos, to silence the chatter. I believe we must learn to recognize and listen to the Spirit of truth, as Jesus called it. Only when experiencing God’s presence are we able to hear God’s message to us.
God’s presence in our lives creates in us a sensitivity to God’s activity in the world and calls each of us to places of service in God’s world.
For more about Thriving Spiritually follow this link to Experiencing God’s Presence: A Personal Guide Through Six Spiritual Disciplines and see articles above.
- Listen to the Pain: This journal entry was written while Dr. McGee was recovering from a serious climbing accident in the Colorado Rocky Mountains; it was revised years later following a series of personal losses.
- God-Loving: This journal entry is a poem Dr. McGee wrote to catch the essence of loving God and his personal spiritual quest to love others.
- Adaptation of Centering Prayer: Dr. McGee integrates The Relaxation Response with centering prayer in this excerpt from Experiencing God’s Presence: A Personal Guide Through Six Spiritual Disciplines.
- Role of Contemplate Prayer: One Man’s Journey: Dr. McGee share his keen insights into his own development of contemplative prayer.
- Prayer of Comfort: What do you do when life doesn’t make sense and there is pain in your soul? Dr. McGee shares his prayer from the memorial service of a dear family member.
- McGee’s Paraphrase of Psalm 23: Dr. McGee shares the famous Psalm 23 from the King James Version, then an adaptation from his own words.